Thursday, February 26, 2015

DC to NYC

 My new adventure this week was New York City. DC is at a prime location so I'm trying to take full advantage of that while I'm here. A group of ten of my friends and I bought bus tickets and got a sweet deal on a Marriott Hotel by Times Square. The total with transportation and two nights at the hotel was under a hundred dollars.  I don't think a trip to New York could get any cheaper than that.

We wanted to make the long weekend in NYC as long as possible.  So, we woke up at 3 a.m. Friday morning, left our apartment building at 4 a.m., boarded our bus at 5 a.m. and got to New York by 9:30 a.m.  I was impressed we pulled it off. It was so early and a good majority of us only got 2 hours of sleep the night before.  Thank goodness for bus ride naps.






This picture was taken right after we got off the bus and realized how cold it was.  The first day was SO cold.  My fingers would literally freeze if I took my glove off for more than 30 seconds to take a picture.  But we were in New York so we didn't let the cold stop us from having a good time. 




First stop, Grand Central Station.  It was a very grand building.




On the ferry to Lady Liberty. My hair and the wind are a dangerous combination. 




The ferry is a must in New York.



The Statue of Liberty in all her glory. 



You can see the cold in this picture, but the frozen ice chunks made for a cool view. 







 We saw the most amazing sunset on the ferry heading back to the city. You can see the Statue of Liberty to the left of the sun.



Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day hands down. Usually my favorite breakfast food is french toast or waffles. However, we went to a bagel shop Saturday morning for breakfast, and we all couldn't believe how good our bagels were, especially the creme cheese on them.  In the containers behind the glass the creme cheese looked like gelato.



When we planned on going to the toy store, FAO Schwartz, we thought we'd be in it for 15-30 min max.  We were there for over an hour, maybe two, I lost track of time.  There's something so fun about big toy stores, like really large candy.  Or maybe it was just us who thought so.







Try and tell which one is me.




Even though it was covered in snow, we took a stroll in central park.  We stopped at this bridge and fed jelly beans the to ducks int he water below.  New York ducks love jelly beans, who knew?







Jane and I got stopped by Darth Vader and this other animal looking thing in Central Park.  We just thought they were being friendly when they asked to take a picture with us.  No, they just wanted our money.


Got swept off my feet. 



We saw Tiffany and Co. and immediately all the girls wanted to go inside.  Some of the guys in our group weren't so thrilled about it.  It had 5 stories of luxury.  When I was on the engagement floor I actually heard someone who was trying on a ring say, "no, it's not big enough." The ring she had on was probably already $30k.  On the way out my friend Jadeyn spotted the most gorgeous thing in the whole store, the doorman ;).  I call him Mr. Tiffany.  He had a sweet British accent and was quite charming.  We couldn't resist not taking a picture.  Wedding announcements coming soon.



A very wet Times Square.



I saw Les Mis on Broadway!  It was amazing, definitely one of my favorite things I did while in New York. 



We were able to get really close seats, which just made the experience that much better.





On Sunday we went to the chapel in the Manhattan temple for church. The temple is definitely a building that sticks out amongst those around it.  For one thing, most buildings don't have a golden statue on top.  



This is the Freedom Tower by ground zero.  We went into the new 9-11 museum.  It took 3 hours and I still didn't get through everything.  It was very surreal hearing the voicemails from passengers on the planes, seeing pictures, and seeing remnants of the buildings. 




Ground Zero.


To experience the trip for yourself, click HERE.