Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Cherry on Top



Connections make life better.  Being connected with the right people is what gets you the job you've always wanted,  is what opens up the opportunities you never thought you'd get, is what gives you the perks that you don't deserve, and much more. Connections are the cherry on top of life. Coming to DC with 28 other BYU students who are also doing internships means that I have 28 new connections. This week my connections got me an exclusive tour of the Capitol.  A couple of my friends work there so they have badges that can access most of the Capitol.  It's all about the connections. 







We first went onto the balcony of the Capitol that overlooks the National Mall.  It was a very cool and unique view. 








The biggest American flag I have every taken a picture in front of. 






A random hall in the Capitol.  I thought it looked cool so I took a picture. 






The scaffolding really brings out the dome of the Capitol. 







We went to the Library of Congress after the Capitol since there's an underground tunnel that leads right to it.  We've all have already been to it but it's such a pretty and intricate building that it's worth going to more than once.   Majority of the floor in this building is made up of tiny tiles, each placed individually to create different designs.  I'm amazed every time by the floors because I just think of how long it must have taken them to lay all of it. 





On Saturday morning my friend Teresa and I went to a french bakery.  That round thing on the right is french toast.  It was SO delicious.  I've thought about it every day since I've had it and want to go back this weekend. 






Over the weekend we also went to Old Town Alexandria.  It's a neat historic little town and is really pretty. I loved it.  When you get off at the metro for Old Town Alexandria the first thing you see is this temple.  It's the George Washington Masonic Temple.  We didn't know what to expect going in, but it was a very interesting experience. We noticed that there were a lot of similarities to our LDS temples.  







(Teresa, me, Jadeyn, Jane)



George Washington statute. 




The Masonic ceremony room. 





Their symbols. 





This gavel was in one of the cases there. As it reads, it was carved from stone taken from King Solomon's Quarries and the handle of the gavel was made from olive wood grown on Mt. of Olives and Garden of Gethsemane. 







On the free trolley in Old Town Alexandria going down to the waterfront. 




The doc was a fun place to be and had a great view.  We already planned on when we're coming back. 






(Jane, McKay, Me)








I converted Jane, Jake, and JD to Vanilla Bean Frappuccinos from Starbucks (no, they don't have any coffee in them).    





We took our frapps down by the river in Georgetown, even though it was quite chilly and it's a cold drink. 





On Monday night I helped plan FHE.  We did a Mr. Barlow pageant. It was so funny and turned out better than we expected. All the guys got really into it which made it very entertaining. 







Jane, Katie, and I with all the contestants. 




This is the typical group of Bachelor fans who watches the show every Monday night.  Six girls and McKay. 




It has been a fun and crazy week, and next week is New York City!